Friday, July 18, 2008

I'd love to hear your suggestions

OK, I have been inspired by the blogs of several friends who have either recently started running or picked it up again. I've never been a runner, but so many people like that I decided to give it a shot. I found a training schedule (The Couch-to-5K Running Plan) which looks pretty good. I'm not actually starting from the couch- Troy and I have been walking about 30 minutes every morning this summer. But I'm still way in the beginner stages.
The plan suggests that for the first week I should do three workouts. Each workout starts with a 5 minute brisk walk to warm up. Then I alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Sounds pretty good, but I really have no idea. What do all you experienced runners think? I'm anxious to get started Monday so let me know right away! :)

4 comments:

Van Cott Family said...

Hi, that seems like a lot of stopping and starting, and from my experience, starting is not easy when stopping feels so nice. I walked a bit to get warmed up then ran a time (not distance) then gradually increased it. Good luck those hills in your neighborhood can be a killer but try them once in a while just for the challenge factor!
--Julie

Van Cott Family said...

Remember, mind over matter, and if it's something you really want you'll achieve it, it also helps to have talk tapes or music or conversation to keep going.
--Julie

Catherine said...

Good for you! I'm about ready to get my post-baby body in shape and am going to start running again too. I've been looking over some training for beginners and found that on Runners World, they suggest you run 1 minute, walk 2...or is it the other way around... Anyway, go easy on your body; don't push too hard. It's like the tortoise and the hare fable--slow and steady. Remember that it will definitely get easier as you keep it up! Good luck.

Jules said...

Karyn, you amaze me with your ambition! Let me know how it goes. I have no useful advice for you on the subject. I've been walking the last six weeks or so with Rachel John and it has been awesome! We do 4 miles, 5 days a week. I feel so much better and have tons more energy. As for running, maybe next year :)